[thelist] ASP: Cookie - expire

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Tue Jul 8 12:36:46 CDT 2003

At 07:06 AM 7/8/2003, Casey Crookston wrote:

>What do I need to do so that this cookie is a permanent one?

You need to set and expiration date. If you decline to set an expiration
date the cookie is treated as a session cookie.

response.cookies("CookieName").expires = Now() + 0.042 '' Approx One hour
expiration

At 11:26 PM 7/7/2003, Casey Crookston wrote:
>How do you set a cookie to expire when the user closes the browser, or in a
>half hour - which ever comes first?

Tie your cookie to the actual session object that IIS uses. This is a
session cookie with a timer for expiration.

Session("SessionName") = "Data"
Session.TimeOut = 30 '' Default is 20 Minutes

(This next statement might catch me some flack)

But if you are using IIS 5, I find it easier to stuff dictionary objects
into your session object:

Login Page:

If (LoginSuccessful) then

   Set dictUserInfo = Server.CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
     dictUserInfo("FullName") = "Blah"
     dictUserInfo("UserID") = "Blah"
     dictUserInfo("OtherImportantInfo") = "Blah"

   Set Session("SessionName") = dictUserInfo
   response.redirect("/ProtectedPage.asp")
else
   '' Try Again
end if

Check Login on every "protected" page

if isEmpty(SessionName) then
     response.redirect("/LoginPage.asp")
else
     Set dictUserInfo = Session("SessionName")
end if

--
Anthony Baratta
President