[thelist] Password "Protection"

Richard Morris thelist at web-designers.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 08:30:44 CDT 2003

A client has a web site with us and they have also developed a web site with
another company to provide member benefits.

Our site will soon linking to the other site but they've asked for this:

"However, to make it look exclusive to members, can we put some password
protection i.e. when you click the button to go to the [other] site it
should give you a password box to fill in before it transfers you.

"Obviously we can't verify the individual passwords, but as we have a common
format for membership numbers; that can be the password, so if anyone puts
in a number which is X and five digits it will transfer through to [the
other site]. This will give it a sense of exclusivity. Can this be set up?"

I've already said that there would be nothing to stop the visitor from
bookmarking the (freely accessible) web site once they're there anyway, but
presumably what we'd need is some method to seek a password in the form
Xnnnnn that takes the visitor to a redirect page?

Sounds like a JavaScript job?