[thelist] CSS overlap

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 10:01:02 CDT 2003

> Tony's amazing CSS-based layout (http://www.torbytes.co.uk/)
> prompted me to ask this question.
>
> I have recently started exploring CSS positioning and its
> advantages, but in many CSS-based layouts I've seen (Tony's
> included) the boxes overlap when the window is reduced in
> size. Most often this only happens when the window is reduced
> to something ridiculously small, but it's still an issue.
> Presumably this is what the mid-width property is used for,
> but is there a reason why noone seems to use it?
>
> Thanks
> Chris

You're very kind ;o)

I would have loved a cross browser non javascript min-width and also a
min-height, which isn't well supported either.

I'm working to some pretty strict technical guidelines[1] and think
we've managed in the main to make it meet them.

I got round the min-height by including a 1px gif  as a content div
min-height device and have made sure that at 640x480 the layout is still
okay widthwise.

I've allowed IE6.0 Largest and smallest text to still be legible (I
think the righthand menu header overlap at largest is quite nifty!)

It's designed with 800x600 as a minimum in mind and looks good (to me)
at 1024x768.

still a few glitches to look at when you take style sheets away
completely, but I'm please to say it's accessible on a pda as well.

thanks again

Tony

[1] NOF (new opportunities fund) have part funded the project (lottery
money) as part of the NOF-digitise project and laid down some strict
technical guidelines:
http://www.peoplesnetwork.gov.uk/content/technical.asp
They're actually achievable and there are some useful resources there
too. (of course their site doesn't meet their guidelines but that's
another story ;o)