[thelist] Copyright best practices for redesigns

chris chris at mindsparkmedia.com
Wed Jul 16 16:28:48 CDT 2003

Interesting scenario,
- company x paid .joe to do the original site, including the javascript -
presumably, they were smart enough to get a usage and modification license
from .joe (my original question arises from the fact that they probably
didn't do that) - retaining the javascript is not modification to the script
itself, so no, I should think there is not an issue with that if only
considering the individual script.

Modifying the javascript is creating a derivative work, which is fine,
provided there is a usage license.

If there is no usage license, .joe can sue both JohnL and company x for
copyright infringement.  If JohnL. goes on to plagiarize the script for
other paid projects without written permission from .joe, that is clear
infringement.  .joe can sue JohnL for both copyright infringement (up to
$250K punitive) and for the profits JohnL made off using .joe's script.

I queried the List because I don't actually hear about this happening much,
but the potential is there and I'm curious about how other's broach the
topic with company x who assumed that because they paid for the development
of their website, they own modification rights. No one wants to be the
bearer of bad tidings...but we all want to cover our behinds.

I agree with you re: not wanting to jack up prices to reflect licensing fees
for a hodge podge of scripts -  it's much cleaner to just use my own script
library. I've always been a bit mystified about the whole copyright of
scripts anyway... There are, after all, a finite number of ways to
accomplish tasks in any given language.  Even if I wanted to sign over
copyright... I'd be hard put to explain how I can sign over copyright for
something like a standard contact form that uses standard php functions.
Anyway... It's a bit nebulous to me, but to a client who does not know
anything at all about programming, it's a big scarey world.

-chris