[thelist] building web site with MLS connection

John Corry john at neoncowboy.com
Thu Jul 17 15:50:15 CDT 2003

My wife is a realtor and I've looked at this problem, but never
attempted to solve it.

Here in my community, there is a 'board of realtors'. The 'board of
realtors' is like a real estate industry advocacy group local to our
community, it is funded by member contributions and fees.

The board is responsible for maintaining a MLS database. They also offer
a web interface to the database. A private contractor to the board
offers a web interface/API (in the form of some perl scripts I believe)
to the MLS database so that realtors can pull their listings into their
webpages using simple SSI.

I've asked around a little, and it seems like every community has it's
own way of managing this data. There are no industry wide standards for
MLS systems (though you will find consistency between what type of data
is available from community to community).

If I were in your shoes, I would get in touch with my community's board
of realtors and ask if there is an interface for displaying MLS data in
realtor websites.

John Corry