[thelist] Tricky Database Question

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Thu Jul 17 17:39:13 CDT 2003

At 03:11 PM 7/17/2003, Sam Richardson wrote:

>My question is: How do I store the data from the attributes?

Here's my whack at that:

Table: Breed_Attributes_Main
         AttributeID
         BreedID
         Name/Label
         Short Description
         Long Description
         DisplayTypeID

Table: Breed_Attributes_Detail
         DetailID
         AttributeID
         Name/Label

Table: HTML_Display_Type
         DisplayTypeID
         Name/Label

Another option would be to drop the BreedID from the Breed_Attributes table
and have a Cross Walk table that can do a Many to Many relationship between
the Breeds and the Breed_Attributes. This way if there are attributes that
should be applied to multiple breeds you can do that with out having to
enter the same attributes more than once.

Then to store the data entered for each breed attribute you could just have
a table like this:

Table: Selected_Breed_Attributues
         AnimalID
         DetailID