[thelist] NN4.x and IE4.x

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Sat Jul 19 09:39:37 CDT 2003

>  I am curious as to what techniques you use to support version 4.x
> browsers, I don't want to have to resort to tables, but a good article
> as to what the best method should be used, would be most appreciated!

you will need to be more specific about what you mean by "support"

a good article?

Progressive Enhancement and the Future of Web Design
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/03/21/index3a.html

also, what constitutes the "best" method is totally subjective

best for site visitors?  write html specifically for their browsers

nothing wrong with html tables for version 4 browsers

but before you scream that this is a ridiculous strategy for you, consider
that this is a fantastic strategy for your version 4 browser visitors

am i suggesting that you write code for each browser?

on the contrary

best for you?  write the simplest code possible

faster to develop, easier to maintain...

use css, with absolutely minimal presentational markup

tables used for layout are presentational, so they're ruled out

and beware of the div, for it is a gateway tag

say, isn't that the evil Classitis over there?

made you look

;o)