[thelist] HTML 4.01 strict & Javascript

M.G. Noriega manuel at simplelogica.net
Mon Jul 21 05:51:55 CDT 2003

El lun, 21-07-2003 a las 11:45, john at johnallsopp.co.uk escribió:
> Hi y'all
>
> I'm trying to get a site to validate as HTML 4.01 strict (don't tackle me
> on that one),

>    1.  Line 61, column 17:  there is no attribute "LANGUAGE"  (explain...).
>
> <SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="menu_array.js"
> type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
>
> Do I have to hide the JavaScript somehow, or can't I do JavaScript if I
> want to be strict, or (and I guess I can't) can I claim 'strict'
> compliance if it's only the JavaScript that's the problem?

language = cdata [CI]
    Deprecated. This attribute specifies the scripting language of the
contents of this element. Its value is an identifier for the language,
but since these identifiers are not standard, this attribute has been
deprecated in favor of type.

It should work nonetheless, but just remove the language and keep the
type. Maybe lack of double-quotes are playing some part in the problem,
but i think they are not mandatory in HTML 4.01

As an aside, why doesn't w3.org implements a 'Quick Links' on their
homepage with the (X)HTML,CSS,etc references?

--
Manuel González Noriega
Simplelógica, construcción web @ http://simplelogica.net