[thelist] [IIS] Application Protection setting blowup up the site

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Jul 21 20:39:41 CDT 2003

From: "Joshua Olson" <joshua at waetech.com>
Subject: [thelist] [IIS] Application Protection setting blowup up the site

: I'm at the end of my rope on a problem with IIS (go figure).
: This seems to happen on some servers but not others, and
: I don't know why.
:
: If/when I create a new website it'll fail on the load of any
: .ASP file when Application Protection is set to "Medium (pooled)".
: When I change the protection back to "Low (IIS Process)" the
: ASP pages will load again.
:
: On some servers this is a problem, on others it's not.
:
: Any ideas on why it does this and a better solution
: than changing the protection level would be greatly
: appreciated.

There are a few possibilities - problems with user accounts/security being
the main area to look at.

However, until you post some details about what your pages are doing (eg
have you tried a simple page that doesn't use anything except the intrinsic
ASP objects), and what error messages you are getting (on screen, and also
in the Windows Event Logs), we're probably just going to be offering
speculative answers...

I suspect that IWAM_<machinename> has something to do with the problem.
Websites run under medium or high isolation run under this user context
rather than IUSR_<machinename>, but whether there is a password synch
problem, or that account doesn't have sufficient permissions to a component
or directory, or similar, I can't say until we get more info. That's where
I'd start looking though...

Cheers
Ken