[thelist] favicon weirdness

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Jul 21 22:55:19 CDT 2003

From: "Paul Bennett" <paul at teltest.com>
Subject: Re: [thelist] favicon weirdness

: Ken Schaefer wrote:
:
: >I agree with Jeff. I've just spend the last week at Microsoft looking at
: >some of the stuff that'll be coming out. There are things that you'll be
: >able to do with IE that you simply can not do with any other browser
: >(well,certainly without a vast amount of custom code, and huge
: >numbers of server roundtrips).
: >
: great, more proprietary DOM?
:

I think you'll find that IE support for w3 standards will increase
substantially. I'm sure it's been mentioned on this list that members of the
IE development teams have been checking these things out in various
community forums.

However, there is a *vast* amount of application development that's going on
that extends way beyond the traditional "public website", where the
capabilities of HTML/Javascript/DOM + HTTP are simply insufficient to cater
for needs of the application. There'll be a whole heap of stuff that'll
allow both the client and server to overcome some of these limitations. You
can do it now - but there's always hassles, and 3rd party technology,
involved. Instead, it'll be baked into the OS/IE.

I can't reveal specifics, obviously, due to NDAs etc. However, anyone who
does web-application development will be able to tell you all about the
"extra" stuff that's currently required to get things working

Cheers
Ken