[thelist] Re: List digest truncated

Alistair McDonald alistair at inrevo.com
Tue Jul 22 00:57:21 CDT 2003

John Dowdell said:

> I heard of a similar case once, which resolved to the digest-making
> software in question being sensitive to a newline which contains a single
> period in the starting position.

Hmm, we could test for this....

> One way to check such a character-sensitivity is if you visit the list's
> web-based archive, and compare the last message you saw in your digest to
> the contents of successive messages at evolt.org... this could show what
> characters weren't shown.

Hmm you could be right. I've noticed something strange, I will wait for
the next digest before I make any theory about this.

> Another possibility might be the emailer you're using to read the
> digest...
> if it renders HTML it could have problems with things it considers
> malformed HTML. (I use an ASCII emailer myself... more secure.)

It's possible. I use a webmail solution (accessible throughout the world;
more convenient). But the digest is in text format, and the rest of the
webmail page looks fine. Apart from a few URLs, there are very few
tag-like bits in this edition.

> Hmm... it's a longshot, but just to test whether this is the same "period
> truncates digest" that I saw on another list, I'll put a single period
> after this paragraph. If you see the digest truncate at this point, then
> we've got a smoking gun. Ready? Set? Go!
>
> .
>
> (Wow, that was exciting, real live troubleshooting in email, cool.... ;-)

I got it OK :-) And a lot afterwards too. I got 23 of 26 messages this
time, pretty good going, normally I get around 10.

Thanks for replying.

Alistair

--
Alistair McDonald       (+44)(0)7017-467386
http://www.inrevo.com