[thelist] favicon weirdness

M.G. Noriega manuel at simplelogica.net
Wed Jul 23 03:46:58 CDT 2003

El mié, 23-07-2003 a las 01:47, Keith escribió:

> Excellent example Jeff!  Oddpost is one of the best web applications to
> leap off the desktop and out onto the web. I know, that just weirds some
> people out to the max to see a Win app running loose, gives 'em the
> heeby-geebies to even look at it, sends 'em out running through the streets
> wailing, "The Win apps is commin', the Win apps is comin', hide your
> daughters, the Win apps is commin'".

For starters, the idea of someone shocked at oddpost.com is quite funny.
Last time i checked it wasn't exactly changing the internet as we know
it. In fact, it's hardly making any noise even compared with the most
geeky, cult, homegrown technology you can think of

http://www.googlefight.com/cgi-bin/compare.pl?q1=xul&q2=oddpost&B1=Make+a+fight%21&compare=1&langue=us

OTOH, the cross-platform, non-propietary apps are coming

http://www.cfmentor.com/~faser/mab/

http://www.mod-pubsub.org

Dont' hide your daughters, i'm a bachelor right now :)

> We have a site with over 700 regulars who use their exercise calendars
> every day. They can edit their calendars right on the day because we're
> using IE's contentEditable attribute. They never "submit" any changes and
> yet when they come back the next day it's just like they left it because we
> are automatically saving to the server in the background. No annoying page
> flip-flop to communicate with the server, no out of place form fields to
> type into, they edit in-place and all those geeky details about why it's
> there tomorrow are kept out of view. Most users confess that it's kinda
> weird the first time, but then think it's kinda weird that they've never
> seen it before because it feels so natural.

Oh, you've discovered Remote Scripting. Very fine, isn't it?  Hardly
'for IE only', though

> So what if it doesn't run in some cult browser or on somebody's home grown
> operating system?

My OSes aren't homegrown (i lack the skills, you know) and my browser is
hardly 'cult'. In fact, my browser is, for many experts,  the most
standards compliant and advanced browser in the market, and it makes its
job superbly. The fact that i should go back to a 3-years-ago HTML
renderer, 3-years-ago CSS engine, non-popup blocking, non-tabbrowsing
browser, for the privilege of using oddpost.com is laughable.

--
Manuel González Noriega
Simplelógica, construcción web @ http://simplelogica.net