[thelist] Which Linux?

Andrew Seguin asegu at borg.darktech.org
Wed Jul 23 11:43:27 CDT 2003

> I am interested in advice from evolters about which Linux distro would be
> best for a web developer like myself. To avoid wasting bandwidth and
> because
> this may not be germane for many readers, I have summarized what I am
> looking for here:
>
> http://galleryrobinson.com/family/newbie.htm

I actualy prefer using a BSD system, FreeBSD (http://www.freebsd.org) to
be exact. I've used only one computer for a short while with a graphical
user interface installed. Otherwise I run FreeBSD on my web/email server.

FreeBSD does come prepackaged with the X11 server (the backend graphical
user interface system) and several popular front ends (KDE, Gnome, several
others).

Per the points you lined out in the address above:

1. FreeBSD is downloadable form many sites as an ISO. CD 1 is all you
need, CDs 2 and 3 contain the "ports" (packaged software) which I prefer
to obtain freshest from the net anyways.

2. Development tools : as many + possibly more then any standard linux
distribution. FreeBSD comes with what's called a "ports collection" which
makes it very easy to install software... and you can either use the
version that will be located on your CD or get the freshest version. Ports
are always source so they are always compiled to take the most advantage
out of the OS.

3. Easy learning curve: I found it very easy to use. Even easier as server.

4. Powerful and robust: I find it even more robust then linux. My standard
is about 100 days uptime, I would be at 180 right now had I not killed the
SSH Daemon (remote administring my server) and needing to reboot the
computer to get the keyboard to work (trick of PS2 ports... have your
keyboard plugged in as you boot up or else it's deactivated). I have yet
managed to see windows 2000 last more then a month for me before having
problems.

5. Easy install: the install process is I believe (from memory) 5 steps.
The only difficulty I see is the hard disk partitioning since this is not
very obvious from windows. The installer uses an easy, descriptive menu
based configuration. Note that it uses one partition entry only and then
you slice that partition into "slices" which are a form of partition.

As for running *nix and windows dual boot...I disrecommend. I've done it,
but I've always ended up wasting space on the hard drive. Otherwise no
other reason not to.

Networking with windows: the tools are there, but I prefer to use ftp for
file transfers anyways.

anyways, a lot more description is available from the main site
www.freebsd.org   It's not a linux kernel, but as administrator and end
user points of view, I find it much more practical.

Good luck in your search,
Andrew