[thelist] NN4.x and IE4.x

Gregory Wostrel info at gwcreative.com
Thu Jul 24 05:57:36 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 06:25  PM, rudy wrote:
> you end up writing abominations such as

>> And is <div> something to be avoided now?
> yes
> avoid the use of DIV

>> If so, under what circumstances?
> all
> ;o)

In all respect, I think your answer is a little extreme. Don't use DIV
at all? What else? Don't use CLASS? So how do you propose to identify
sections of a document for styling? Simply by HTML selectors? Seems a
little hard to manage a layout that is anything more than basic that
way. I can understand an answer like yours from the viewpoint of
strictly structural/semantic coding. But the web isn't just a bunch of
scientists exchanging documents anymore - it is that and styling and
presentation and more. There needs to be room for that flexibility.

Gregory Wostrel

gw at gwcreative.com
Communications and the Art of Simplicity