CSS hacks and filters (was RE: [thelist] NN4.x and IE4.x)

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 25 20:03:31 CDT 2003

Do you folks really do all this hacking and filtering of CSS in your
work? I suppose if you use these little tricks enough you can see
instantly what you are trying to accomplish, but I usually forget after
a while what bug I was trying to work around and what it looked like
(even with comments).

What I would worry about is having so many little hacks and weird
things in there that my code would look like a mess. Keeping all the
browsers and their various bugs and standards limitations straight and
knowing that my perfect CSS document today is outdated immediately as
soon as another browser comes along (and am I the first to know when a
new browser comes along or an old one is updated? Not usually).

I think I prefer either keeping the design simple or letting the
non-standards compliant older browsers go.

Anyway, I really am curious who really does all that CSS hacking stuff.
If I don't do it, am I hindering my career?

Diane