CSS hacks and filters (was RE: [thelist] NN4.x and IE4.x)

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 25 21:15:41 CDT 2003

> > First, I'd suggest avoiding what I call "CSS hacks" (i.e., the ones that
> > exploit a bug in the browsers rendering engine), and encourage the use
> > of "CSS filters" (i.e., the ones that exploit a CSS feature a browser
> > has yet to support) whenever possible.
>
>well, i'm certainly not going to quibble about the difference
>
>not when it gets me off the hook, eh
>
>i've always been somewhat uncomfortable ragging on people for using css
>hacks when i myself depend on @import to kep ver 4 browsers from barfing
>
>you're saying @import is a filter and not a hack?
>
>woohoo!!

Exactly my feelings. I'd reluctantly come to the conclusion I had to explain
the difference between @import and all other CSS hacks in my next column,
but couldn't really get the difference straight. Now you've done the work
already and I can simply refer to you. Thanks, Craig

For the person who asked about hacks and wondered whether they're necessary:
no, they aren't, as long as you accept there will be minor differences
between browsers. Does not knowing CSS hacks damage your career? Not at all,
as long as you can write fluent cross-browser CSS and know what you're
doing.

>rudy
>http://rudy.ca/
>xhtml 1 strict
>css now totally hack-free!!

css now completely filter-rich!!

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/
New: Browser Wars II: The Saga Continues
http://evolt.org/article/rdf/25/60181/