[thelist] Hiveware email address encoder

Aleem B aleem.bawany at utoronto.ca
Sat Jul 26 20:12:29 CDT 2003

Joshua,

> I don't like your idea, but you just gave me an epiphony
> (these are usually good, so hang on):

epiphany :) (unless I missed a pun)

That's an awesome trick. Probably the most effective one
I have come across. Kudos to you.

Another promising strategy is to have second, email
address that is not visible or hidden from the user but is
still present on the page and will act as bait. This way
only spambots will get the link (the opposite of your
strategy, which banks on the knowledge that only humans
can get to the page with the email). Anyways, this hidden
email address will provide you with a list of emails which
need to be blocked, since all emails arriving at this
address will surely be from a bot. And then from your
actual inbox, delete all mails that match your blacklist.

This still takes up your network bandwidth and also
requires filters be run on your list, which you'll probably
have to write up yourself, but it's still fool proof (as
far as I know) and allows you to list all contact
information off one page.

aleem

[ http://aleembawany.com/ ]