[thelist] Flash TIP: _level properties

Christopher Joseph christopher at ideadesigners.com
Tue Jul 29 05:46:06 CDT 2003

Just been through a rather painful debug process and I thought I would
share the results :)

<tip type="code" author="chris joseph">
Macromedia Flash: When using movieclip preload code in a multiple level
environment over a slow connection watch out for undefined properties.
In a recent project, even 100 frames (at 25 sec) after
loadMovieNum(MyMovie, 1) the following logical test was apparently ingored:

<code>
//in frame 1
//initilise and request load movies once!
this.init();
function init(){
	if (this.inited != undefined ){
		return;
	}
	this.inited = true;
	loadMovieNum("MyMovie.swf", 1);
}
//in frame 100
if (_level0._framesloaded<_level0._totalframes) {
	gotoAndPlay(1);
} else if (_level1._framesloaded<_level1._totalframes ) {
	gotoAndPlay(1);
} else {
	tellTarget(_level1){
			gotoAndPlay("Scene 1", "run");
		}
	stop();
}
</code>

The reason it failed to play the movie in level1 is because the first
time around the test below return TRUE:

<code>
(_level0._framesloaded<_level0._totalframes)
</code>

...eventually it was determined that the movie was not loaded quickly
enough to instantiate and populate the _level1 properties. The test was
amended to that below which fixed the issue:

<code>
(_level1._framesloaded<_level1._totalframes || _level1._framesloaded ==
undefined || _level1._totalframes == undefined)
</code>

</tip>

--
Christopher Joseph