[thelist] Validating Code

Pete Prodoehl pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com
Tue Jul 29 16:18:21 CDT 2003

Charlie Griefer wrote:
> Hey List:
>
> 1) we're behind a proxy/firewall, so we can't use the w3's online validator.
> I know they have a downloadable version, but I'm not a PERL person...nor do
> we have any PERL people on staff.  If there are other alternatives, I'd like
> to explore them before delving into downloading the w3 validator.

> So is anybody aware of any applications that we can install behind our
> firewall that will crawl our Web pages and validate (XHTML 1.0 Transitional
> at this point, if that matters).

Well, it won't crawl your site, but you can install the 'Private Validator'

     http://mrclay.org/junk/software/private_validator/

onto one (or all) of the machines behind the firewall, and then that
machine will grab the page in question on your private network, send it
to the W3C validator, and return the results in your browser, all
triggered via a bookmarklet.

I find it invaluable for developing pages on my own machine and
validating them.

Pete