[thelist] OT: Rasterizing jpg Image

Seb Potter seb at poked.org
Tue Jul 29 18:06:56 CDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:54:11 -0500, Steve Abaffy
<sabaffy at mswebdevelopment.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> 	Another off topic question, but how does one go about rasterizing a jpg?
> to send a logo off to the printer and he wants to charge me $15.00 to
> rasterize the image, and if I can do this myself with photoshop or some
> other tool I could save the money.

Cut'n'paste from
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci212871,00.html because
I'm laughing so hard at what your printer is trying to do to you that I
can't type straight.

<quote>
Raster graphics are digital images created or captured (for example, by
scanning in a photo) as a set of samples of a given space. A raster is a
grid of x and y coordinates on a display space. (And for three-dimensional
images, a z coordinate.) A raster image file identifies which of these
coordinates to illuminate in monochrome or color values. The raster file is
sometimes referred to as a bitmap because it contains information that is
directly mapped to the display grid.

A raster file is usually larger than a vector graphics image file. A raster
file is usually difficult to modify without loss of information, although
there are software tools that can convert a raster file into a vector file
for refinement and changes. Examples of raster image file types are: BMP,
TIFF, GIF, and JPEG files. </quote>

If a printer had tried to charge me for that, he'd be short one client.

- seb

--
http://poked.org