Should you go against your Client? (Was: [thelist] Message Archive -MySQL)

Og mindmachine at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 30 16:28:59 CDT 2003

I do graphics and the back end and I've had my share of client request
conflicts.  A lot depends on your clients understanding of what your doing.
>From a programming standpoint, if there is an incredibly useful addition
that you can easily build into the app, and your past experince or the
clients potential needs may require this.. and it would be a bugger to
develop later.. then I say put it in and disable it.  The time stamp is just
one extra field and you can always adjust your storage procedures to meet
your clients current needs of no more than 30 days.  Additionally.. if the
client decides down the road that he needs that addition then it's ready and
waiting to be activated.  As long as the addition isn't going to mess up the
clients current needs.. or cost him an incredible amount of your time.
Lastly, we will all run into clients that despite the fact that you've had
lots of experince.. this is your job.. and they have no idea what the in's
and out's are of application development.. they completely subvert your
creative and inovative purpose by forcing their own inexperienced
recommedations and ideas... and you become the monkey moving the mouse.  In
cases like this I do sit and have very involved conversations, with other
work examples (both my own and on the web) on hand.  I talk to the client
about their needs now.. and what those needs might be for the future.
Defend your ideas.. they may be very clear and correct in your head.. but
don't be afraid to battle the client with explanations and opinions.  He's
relying on you to do this right.. and part of it is fighting for the life of
your ideas.

Cheers.