[thelist] buffer overflows in web apps: something to think about?

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Fri Aug 1 18:05:11 CDT 2003

Hi.

I know that buffer overflows are an important thing to protect against
when writing programs but what about the web? I did a little bit of
googling on the subject but I have not come across anything web
applicable.

I use PHP and what I'd like to know is:

1. Are they something that need to be checked for?

2. Is it even possible to prevent them with PHP?

3. What are some ways of protecting your application from them?

Any information you've got would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris.