[thelist] Client doesn't know his audience

Alex Farran alex at alexfarran.com
Tue Aug 5 14:46:53 CDT 2003

  writes:

> Hi people What happens when you ask a client about his/her audience
> for their website and they say "I dunno, everybody"?

Sounds about right.  From an interface point of view anyway.  If you
design an interface for a specific group it will always be limited to
that group.  To keep it open to the widest possible audience you
should limit the assumptions you make to the barest minimum - can
read, type a bit, move a mouse etc.

I've seen enough interfaces designed by programmers to know how
damaging it can be to make assumptions about your users.

--

    __o    Alex Farran
  _`\<,_   Analyst / Programmer