[thelist] registrar problems - switching?

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 14:58:51 CDT 2003

> Could I get some suggestions here? Should I switch?

I'd appreciate a hand too with a similar problem. My new client has a .com
domain registered with verio.co.uk and I want to take control of it. I'm
in touch with the administrative contact and he's co-operative.

It's just, the website has lots of hits, and if it goes down in the
switchover I'm going to take the flack, and I'm not confident with this.
I'm working through DNS and Bind (O'Reilly) so I'll get there, but not at
the moment.

I'm relying on the admin contact to make the switchover. Am I asking him
to change me to be the admin contact (so I can get control and do the
switchover myself), to pass the records over to my new ISP (but then he'd
still be the admin contact), or both in one action? Or can we do this
safely a step at a time?

And if the DNS records suddenly become hosted by my ISP, I hope they'll
still point to the original IP address because I wanna switch hosts later,
not quite right now.

I was going to try to bring it into www.freeparking.co.uk where the rest
of my domains are, but I'll do it with my ISP I think because at least
I'll get real help from them if it goes wrong.

The end :-)