[thelist] Web and Email through different providors sharing a single domain

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at frogger.kicks-ass.net
Thu Aug 7 16:16:32 CDT 2003

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 hpinson at indepthl.com wrote:

> Hi.  I'm wondering if it is possible to host a domain with one ISP
> and get email on the same domain through another ISP. ie.:
>
> ISP 1:  Website  - mysite.com
> ISP 2: Email - joe at mysite,com

Sure, you would need to point the A record for www.mysite.com (and
mysite.com) to the Web server, and the MX record for mysite.com to
whichever server is handling mail.

> Tech support at my ISP is telling me it is not possible because the
> dns mx records points only to the web server.

Translation: "We don't want you using another ISP for mail." or "We're too
lazy to point the MX record at another ISP."

--
Shawn K. Quinn