[thelist] In Defense of Fahrner Image Replacement

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Thu Aug 7 17:35:26 CDT 2003

> Why spooky?

because they are talking about replacing perfectly good text with images

something about that makes me uneasy

i mean, what's wrong with both?  and the example in that article, that
cutesy little recipe card, well, if that's the direction they're going, i'm
going to want to turn the image off and see the text, and how many
"ordinary" users are going to know how?

> Personally I feel this quest for CSS-hacks or not-quite-hacks has gone too
> far now (though the image replacement trick is neater than most)

yeah, i felt the same way the first time i saw the voice family hack, i was
thinking that it was a little bit like running red lights in the middle of
the night, one o' these days you're gonna get caught

rudy