[thelist] Question about SQL Server

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Fri Aug 8 11:13:46 CDT 2003

Eric,

<snip>

On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 11:53 AM, Joshua Olson wrote:

> SQL Server uses port 1433 (by default) for it's remote connections.
> So long
> as no firewalls between your ISP and your local server prevent access
> via
> this port and the IP of the local box is reachable from the ISP you
> should
> be able to connect the servers together.  If the IP's are reachable
> but that
> port is not available, you can reconfigure SQL server to use another
> port,
> if one is available.

If you do have firewalls/NAT in between you and your ISP (likely --
which also means the IP address wouldn't be directly accessible) you
could enable port forwarding on your firewall/router/gateway device to
forward port 1433 to your SQL Server box. This means you'll also need a
static IP address and/or domain on your gateway (could accomplish this
with DynDNS, but your database would be inaccessible for a period of
time after your IP changed and before the update propagated).

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com