[thelist] Hiding CSS from everything but IE6/Win?

Egor Kloos studio at dutchcelt.nl
Sun Aug 10 06:19:04 CDT 2003

Boris,

> The short story is that I think I need a way to hide one bit of CSS
> from everything *except* for IE6/Win.
I checked your site and saw that it indeed doesn't work. I did a quick
check in Safari v85, and moz. firebird 0.61 osx. The style sheet just
puts the main content area over the left side navigation. Your problem
has nothing to do with IE6. In part you are using way to much css to
'just switch a font'.

Don't import the base script, put that somewhere else. Only switch what
needs switching, in this case rules containing fonts and the position
of the two boxes. Start simple, make it work and build from there.
Your problem here is that you are not overriding the position left
value, so your navigation block doesn't move. The only real change is
in #main, margin-left is overridden. Strangely enough margin-right
isn't overridden but it ought be.
Like this, margin: 0 185px 0 0; to margin: 0 0 0 185px;

One solution is that you could use float. This would be much easier to
control and there would be no need for position: absolute;
This is part of your base css:
	#wrapper { width: 100%; padding: 0 10px 0 10px; }
	#wrapper #blocks { float: left; width: 175px; }
	#wrapper #main { padding: 0 10px 0 0; }
	#wrapper #footer { clear: both; } /* added to prevent float boxes
collapsing */

This is your default switching css
	#wrapper #blocks { float: left; }
	#wrapper #main { padding: 0 10px 0 0; }

This is a alternate switching css:
	#wrapper #blocks {float: right;}
	#wrapper #main { padding: 0 0 0 10px;}

This is merely and suggestion and not a fully tested solution. So try
it out it should prove much easier to switch.
BTW. Your Lucida style switches to Trebuchet and not Lucida.

Hope I've been able to help.

Egor Kloos

http://www.dutchcelt.nl/
http://www.applematters.com/