[thelist] The New Worm - need some help to clean it

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 20:08:07 CDT 2003

Hey all,

Well for the last 4 hours I've gotten to know the new worm
intimately. While I have downloaded all the patches I can and
installed ZoneAlarm, it still continues to propagate on both systems.
(Each time I reboot - even after a patch - the worm is in the task
list) I even got the latest Norton virus update. Norton sees it on my
system and pops a lovely red box that says "we can't do jack about
this."

This worm SERIOUSLY degrades my internet connection. I'd say 50-100%
packet loss. That I can get this email out is a serious task. Anyway,
can anyone point me to anything else I can do to clean my system? ZA
seems to block port 135 attacks every time, but cannot of course
clean the worm. The Norton update didn't clean it, and the MS updates
didn't fix it (BIG surprise eh?)

Do all you can to protect yourself on this one, its a real pain. :(

Any help is appreciated

Tom

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/ :: Web Development Services
http://www.DMXzone.com/ :: Premium Content Author / JavaScript / Every Friday!
http://www.maccaws.com/ :: Group Leader

"That's not art, that's just annoying." -- Squidward