[thelist] Internet Security

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Tue Aug 12 14:08:09 CDT 2003

Related to the subject of worms, I have a question about firewalls and
security. I have a hardwall firewall running NAT (an Alcatel HOME ADSL
modem/router connected to a hub to be specific) and www.grc.com told me
that:

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating.

Regarding software firewalls, Sam Spade apparently feels they are somewhat
worthless ( http://www.samspade.org/d/firewalls.html ) but I do run on my PC
a personal firewall from Kerio.com. It is useful anyhow (as mentioned) to
block applications from connecting out to the internet.

My question is that given that I have NAT firewalling and grc.com feels that
I am essentially invisible from the outside, how could it be that Kerio pops
up at least once a day telling me that someone is sending me an ICMP [8]
Echo Request, which is I believe is a ping?

My firewall does have some portmapping set up by default. My suspicion is
that either it's via that (unlikely), Kerio is just trying to impress me
(doubtful) or that I don't know much about internet security and am making
wrong assumptions (somewhat likely). :)

Thank you,
Hershel