[thelist] Internet Security

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Aug 12 20:10:59 CDT 2003

NAT is a way of sharing a single public IP address amongst many internal
private machines. It is a *not* intended to be a security system. That's
what a firewall is.

Just like you can use a router to drop certain types of packets (which isn't
designed as a security feature - it just does add to your security), NAT
isn't designed to secure your network - it just has that as a side effect.

If you want reliable security, get a device that's designed for providing
security (eg a firewall device, or an application level firewall installed
on your computers). On the other hand, if you just want "pretty good
security", then you can use NAT (but you /must/ practice "good computing" -
patch machines, don't download dubious code, don't open attachments, run AV
etc)

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Dell'Aringa" <pixelmech at yahoo.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: [thelist] Internet Security

:
: --- Hershel Robinson <hershelr at netvision.net.il> wrote:
: > Related to the subject of worms, I have a question about firewalls
: > and security. I have a hardwall firewall running NAT
:
: Related to this, I have 2 PCs connected to a cable modem through a
: Netgear DS104 4-port router. I was also told that if I set the NAT on
: that router it would be *all* I needed to be secure because
: everything would be stopped at that point. (related, I have NO idea
: how to do this, if anyone has a how-to or can point me to a resource
: that would be great)
:
: First of all, is this true? I would still run my Norton anyway, but
: would I still need a software firewall?
:
: Also is MSofts firewall compareable/just as good as ZoneAlarm? Is
: there an advantage of going one way or the other?
:
: TIA
:
: Tom
:
: =====
: http://www.pixelmech.com/ :: Web Development Services
: http://www.DMXzone.com/ :: Premium Content Author / JavaScript / Every
Friday!
: http://www.maccaws.com/ :: Group Leader
: [Making A Commercial Case for Adopting Web Standards]
:
: "That's not art, that's just annoying." -- Squidward
: --
: * * Please support the community that supports you.  * *
: http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/
:
: For unsubscribe and other options, including the Tip Harvester
: and archives of thelist go to: http://lists.evolt.org
: Workers of the Web, evolt !