[thelist] What's the outlook

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Thu Aug 14 10:03:05 CDT 2003

Diane Soini wrote:

> Hello. I'm wondering about the outlook for this career in web design. I
> think I'm on the verge of obsolescence. I can't seem to get any
> opportunities to gain skills on the server-side of things where I work.

Sometimes you need to make opportunities. :-)

Come up with a project of your own that requires a server-side
component, pick a technology, and go. Learn. Do another.

> It seems like the future of web work will be writing applications for
> Microsoft technologies. We use Java where I work, and java appears to be
> quite complex and uncommon. I'm wondering what you think the future is.

"uncommon"? Your company is using it. Lots, as in *lots*, of large,
medium, and small companies are using it. Given the investment all
that represents, I really don't see Java implementations going away.

And "complex"? It's as simple or complex as you make it. Install a
JDK and Tomcat on your desktop system and play with JSP (especially
taglibs) a bit. If Java still doesn't grab you, install Apache and
PHP, or Python. But learn something new.

> I just don't know what to do next. I really like the client-side work,
> but it appears that the need for that is fading. So many companies can
> just generate code with content management tools, so why bother having a
> web designer on staff?

Because someone has to design the UI, and create the templates, for
even a CMS-driven system?

And more and more Web *apps* will be developed, which require both
UI design and a good knowledge of the interaction with the server,
so there's opportunity there.

"Chance favors the prepared mind."  :-)

FWIW, and good luck,
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com