[thelist] Flash LoadVars.send to asp

Adam Slesinger badlanners at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 14 12:33:29 CDT 2003

If the final error shows up in the email, perhaps Flash isn't part of the
equation.  I would make a test ASP page that simply posts the email with
hardcoded values (what you normally were getting from the flash movie) and
see if the pound symbol is still messed up.

If it works fine, then you're right that the flash movie is messing up the
pound symbol. In that case, perhaps you don't have to pass the pound symbol
from flash.  You can simply pass the amounts and then add the pound symbol
to the amounts in the ASP page before it is emailed.  If your values from
your flash movie could be different currencies, then you could setup a
system of phrases such as "isPoundSymbol, isDollarSymbol, etc" that would be
replaced by an actual pound, dollar, etc symbols in the ASP page.

So, if you are just using pounds, you could do this:

'Grab variables from flash
strAmount = Request.Form("amount")

 'Plain Text Email
strAmount = "£" & strAmount
'Html Email
strAmount = "£" & strAmount

And if you have different currencies, you could do this:

'Grab variables from flash
strAmount = Request.Form("amount")

 'Plain Text Email
strAmount = replace(strAmount, "isPoundSymbol", "£")
strAmount = replace(strAmount, "isDollarSymbol", "$")
'Html Email
strAmount = replace(strAmount, "isPoundSymbol", "£")
strAmount = replace(strAmount, "isDollarSymbol", "$")
' and so forth...

Hope this workaround works for you.

Adam 'bread_man' Slesinger
President, Webmaster & Sponsor Relations
The BadLANs - Rhode Island's Premiere LAN Party
http://www.thebadlans.net
irc.enterthegame.com #thebadlans
info at thebadlans.net

> Christopher Joseph wrote:
>
>> I am using Flash LoadVars.send() to http:GET to an asp server page.
>> The asp server page posts an email with the results *but* anywhere a
>> pound sign is show it is preceded with a rogue char e.g.
>>
>> £25,000 to £35,000

Any suggestions for work arounds?