[thelist] photo usage/consent question

Janet Green JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com
Tue Aug 19 10:19:55 CDT 2003

>>>I got a call from my (former
> because my seasonal contract ended) boss tonight telling me to pull the
> pictures. He says that I am violating laws because I don't have a
> release form for public consumption of these photos.<<<

I'd say yes, your website is definitely a "public area", just as a newspaper would be public. However, it might be worth asking your boss if campers' parents signed a photo waiver upon enrolling their children in camp. In our public school system, parents have to sign a form stating that it's ok for their children to be photographed, and for the photos to be published, during school activities. This covers the local newspaper photographer (or TV news crew) who's covering the annual "Track and Field Day" at the school, or shooting photos at a local attraction where the kids happen to be going for a field trip, etc. Parents must specifically state that they do NOT want their child to be photographed if that is the case. If parents signed a photo waiver upon enrollment, perhaps you're already covered.
Janet