[thelist] Bold vs. Strong

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Tue Aug 19 21:22:48 CDT 2003

> If something is bold, in the *print* sense of the word,
> then it's because of some emphasis, hence the adoption
> of strong that is more er... semantic than visual.

i disagree, a bold style does not <i>necessarily</i> mean emphasis,
although i will concede that it may to many people

but what about EM?

why do people looking for alternatives to B go straight to STRONG?

EM is for emphasis, and STRONG is for, well, even stronger emphasis, at
least, if you really care about the semantics, which few people do

well, natch, i can hear them saying, EM is the same as italics!!!!!!!!

italics are totally different from bold, right?

and where we used to use B, we want emphasis, okay?

so, um, skip over EM and go straight to STRONG

leave italics to CITE, okay?

and don't bother us with the difference between EM and STRONG

alles klar?

;o)