[thelist] winmail.dat

Mike Carlson domitianx at domitianx.com
Thu Aug 21 13:14:14 CDT 2003

That is when they are using an Exchange server on their end and they have
their mail set to RichText. When Exchange sends it out, it attaches the
email attachment as a winmail.dat file and when Exchange gets a file with
that attachment, it decodes the attachment out. Its really annoying. I think
this was a Exchange 5.5 thing only. I havent noticed it on my Exchange 2k
box.

Now that I think about it, you might also run into that problem with certain
versions of Outlook on the PC even if you are not using an Exchange server.
Not sure, but I think I remember that happening once.

There is a file out there called fentun.exe that I use to decode the
message. I use it to extract the attachments out of the file. I can email
you a copy if you want, but it is PC only.

The other option is to have the sender send email only in Plain Text
instead. That will resolve the problem.

-Mike Carlson
domitianx at domitianx.com
http://www.uselessthoughts.com