[thelist] Setting up PHP & mySQL

Stuart Young syoung at unitec.ac.nz
Thu Aug 21 22:12:49 CDT 2003

Paul J Maguire wrote:

> Excellent.. I got it all setup, through the help I got here and the
> instructions with mySQL and PHP.. it worked.  Thanks so much for your help.
> A special thanks to Burhan Khalid for his simple instructions for PHP and
> mySQL installation.

I used the Apache Triad 1.1 bundle of Apache PHP MySQL which was a really easy install and also installed PHPMyAdmin, Apache SSL, Perl and lots of goodies.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/apache2triad/
but this project seems to have dissapeared
I also tried PHPtriad 2.1. which supposedly does the same thing,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/phptriad/
but I couldn't get this install to work, and I also note that development of this project has discontinued in favour of a commerical product which the URL of I can't find now.

> Now I'm looking for some mySQL database admin
> software.. shareware or freeware is fine.

PHPMyAdmin of course!
http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/

So I have a working copy of Apache PHP MySQL on my win NT PC but I'm now stuck with

changing the default MySQL user settings
creating virtual directories to store my PHP website projects

the documentation is incomprehensible to me.
Oh well I just need to spend more time on it.

The only text books I could find on this were either
* set up IIS PHP MySQL on windows or
* set up Apache PHP MySQL on Linux

I couldn't find any text books that holds the users hand through
* set up Apache PHP MySQL on windows

cheers

Dr Stuart Young,       +64 (0)9-815 4321 Ex 8656
<syoung at unitec.ac.nz>
Lecturer, School of Computing and Information Technology,
UNITEC Institute of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand

"Have I lost faith in Microsoft? Yes, completely, I no
longer care or believe any claim or announcement they
make. I am not interested in their latest and greatest
version of anything."