[thelist] WebSite CMS Tools/Apps

Ralph Guzman ralph at nqionline.com
Fri Aug 22 17:46:30 CDT 2003

Bruce,

I've been doing my research the last few weeks looking for a CMS tool
with a development framework. I've only evaluated PHP/MySQL based CMS
and I've narrowed down my search to ezPublish3 (http://www.ez.no/),
Typo3 (http://typo3.com/). As a standalone framework, I am also looking
into php.MVC (http://www.phpmvc.net/) based on Jakarta Struts.

I still have not decided which to use, however I am leaning toward
ezPublish 3. From what I've seen, it provides a good development
framework and has a clean backend admin interface. Since v3 is a rewrite
of previous v2, there is not too much documentation however they have
enough documentation for you to get started. If you would like more info
on ezPublish you can also read this article:
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1157

Typo 3 provides a lot of functionality, perhaps more than ezPublish.
It's admin interface is based entirely on DHTML, while some people might
prefer this approach, I found it a bit cumbersome. I want a CMS solution
that will serve as an abstraction layer, so the editors can
edit/add/update content, designers change look and feel using templates,
and where programmers can  easily write and implement modules. Typo3 is
a good option, however I think site management is not for the average
user.

If you are open to solutions based on something other than PHP then you
may want to look at ZOPE written in Python:

http://www.zope.org/