[thelist] basic SQL question...

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Sat Aug 23 01:08:29 CDT 2003

great summary of the different join syntaxes, guys

ari, please try sending as text/plain or turn off your digital signature,
because your post comes across empty with a text attachment

joshau, you were going great guns until the very end

perhaps by correcting you on one small point, i will appear to be a
nitpicker, but hey, sql is near and dear to my heart, and i just gots to...

> Keep in mind some databases don't support NATURAL JOIN
> whereas almost all support INNER, OUTER, CROSS, and
> FULL (basically a CROSS join with no WHERE clause)  joins.

FULL is not a CROSS without a WHERE clause

actually, CROSS is like an INNER without a WHERE clause, but only the "old
style" inner, the table list syntax, because with INNER you must say ON and
give a join condition

table list syntax with no WHERE clause produces the same result as CROSS

FULL is a UNION of LEFT and RIGHT

examples if you wants 'em

rudy