[thelist] Office 2003, XML, and CMS

GravyFace gravyface at bmfsquad.com
Sat Aug 23 08:56:12 CDT 2003

Hi all,

Our writers have told us that they *absolutely must* hold onto Office/MS
Word as a CMS requirement.

Fortunately, Office 2003 is toting strong support for XML, *hopefully*
making this a much easier feat.

My question:

I've seen some great open-source WebCMS systems (Zope, Typo 3, etc.) but 90%
of them are pushing the Rich-Text Editor (RTE) thing, not the "parse my XML
file, store in SQL natively" thing.

I know very little practically about XML, but am familiar with XML
conceptually -- to save me from wading through the W3C stew, can anyone give
me an explanation of how I could/should Parse an XML file, dumping into a DB
(SQL), and store the XML tags and content "as is":

This...

<article Type=33>
  <title>News Flash: Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup!</title>
   <summary>After an overwhelmingly-dominant season, the Maple Leafs have
finally brought Lord Stanley home!</summary>
   <author>GravyFace</author>
id=2>BLAAAAAH!</emphasis></body>
</article id=555>

Would become...

ArticleID|Type | Title | Summary | 				Body						|
---------------
1	   |33   |News.. |After a..| blah blah blah <emphasis
id=1>BLAH!</emphasis>. blah..

Some of the nodes would be parsed of their content and inserted as plain
text/integer (Type, Title etc), while others (body) would retain their
"markup" for later XSLT/CSS presentation processing ('emphasis' becomes
"font: verdana bold 12px;").

I do have some concerns that I may be approaching this wrong:

a) should all these articles be stored natively in an XML file and disregard
the DB?  I still think that SQL would out-perform the "XML file server"
thing, but I could be wrong.

b) should I really be using XHTML as I'm primarily using this for the Web
and if we decide to port it somewhere else, at least XHTML is well-formed.

Archives: http://lists.evolt.org

End of thelist Digest, Vol 6, Issue 56