[thelist] mySQL/Forms - keeping line breaks

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Sat Aug 23 22:03:02 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Dell'Aringa" <pixelmech at yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2003 10:44 PM

> On to my next problem...
>
> When I pull a story from my DB, it comes in as one looooong string of
> text and html. This makes it very difficult to edit an article after
> it has been saved to the DB.
>
> Is there any way to keep the line breaks intact when I pull it into
> my form so it is more readable?

Tom, the way I sometimes deal with this is to actually have two fields in
the database--one for the unformatted editable text, another for the
formatted presentation text.

Another approach (perhaps even better) is to keep the raw text in the
database and the formatted text (for presentation) on a file where you can
simply include it without needing to hit the database.

Good luck and HTH,

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.