[thelist] auto-image-resizing best results

Aredridel aredridel at nbtsc.org
Sun Aug 24 20:07:53 CDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 18:51, Simon Willison wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What method of automatically resizing photographs gives the best quality
> results? This is for automatically generating both thumbnails (quality
> not too important) and 600px wide images (very important) from high
> resolution digital photos. I've been experimenting with GD with PHP, and
> although the results it gives are adequate for producing thumbnails they
> are slightly flakey for larger images - they're not bad, but they're not
> brilliant either.
>
> When I resize a photograph in Fireworks MX (with resample / bicubic,
> which are the default settings) the results are stunning. Does anyone
> know of a tool that can be run on a Unix server that produces a similar
> quality?

Absolutely.  ImageMagick.  It's phenomenal, a host of utilities callable
by a shell/system command, and included with most linux distros.

There's also a php-imagick extension that really is nice.  I use it on
http://unicas.com/ for auto-resizing product pictures from their (huge)
originals to the sizes shown on the site.

Ari