[thelist] following a standard for form field naming

Dunstan Orchard dunstan at 1976design.com
Mon Aug 25 06:21:59 CDT 2003

Hi There,

I recently installed an update of the Google toolbar. One of the features on
there is Autofill, which lets you quickly fill in form data on web sites
(http://toolbar.google.com/autofill_help.html).

I thought it'd be good to get into the habit of using some kind of standard
for naming form fields, especially since autofill features will no doubt
become more popular.

>From the Google help page I followed a link to
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3106.txt where the standard is explained.

I wondered if anyone has more info on this topic but from a non-commercial
point of view.
Principally, I'd like to know what to name fields that don't relate to
commerce, but maybe to becoming a member, or registering for something - what
address fields should be used in those instances?

Just wondering what people know before I put a lot of effort into this.

Cheers - Dunstan