[thelist] OT: Java Virtual Machine problems

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 25 21:48:04 CDT 2003

I wish I could answer this better, but maybe this'll be enough to help.
I had the exact same problem with the JVM on my PC at work not too long
ago. The problem turned out to be that Internet explorer didn't not
play well with Sun's JVM. What I had to do was go into the Tools to the
Advanced tab, the one that has a million check boxes. Find one for Java
Virtual machine and make sure that it is off. Where my answer gets
shaky, is I seem to recall there were 3 checkboxes in that general
area, and I can't remember if I had to turn one of the other ones on or
not. But the gist of it is that the JVM from Sun won't work. Also, it
seemed that at one point I had checked Mozilla as my default browser
and it is what set the JVM to on for IE. Because of this stupidity, I
have had to abandon the idea of having any other browser but IE be my
default. (I sure hate MS and its bossiness).
Diane
On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 05:14 PM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:14:26 -0500
> From: "Steve Abaffy" <sabaffy at mswebdevelopment.com>
> To: "Java" <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
> Subject: [thelist] OT: Java Virtual Machine problems
>

> Now the problem... there are web sites that when visited (i.e.
> www.dallascowboys.com) ask me to download virtual machine. Now if I say
> cancel the site shows up and 9 out of 10 times the very first thing I
> click
> on locks up the browser. I have to use the task manager to end the
> program.
> If I say ok, I'll download it, I get a page on microsoft's site
> telling me
> that the page I have visited requires a new version of virtual machine
> then
> I am currently running and directs me to the windows update page.
> Which of
> course does download any newer version of virtual machine.
>
> I have looked on the net and found a version of virtual machine and
> have
> installed that, but the problem has not changed.
>
> Anything that I am overlooking or should check... ????
>
> Thanks
> Steve

Boyfriend: 3 years, 3 PCs. Each one purchased after the previous one
died.
Me: 9 years, 3 Macs. Each one purchased because I wanted it. They all
still work perfectly.