[thelist] mod_rewrite problem... again...

Dunstan Orchard dunstan at 1976design.com
Fri Aug 29 06:22:12 CDT 2003

Hi there,

I am using an .htaccess file to do mod_rewrite things:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^seminars/boarding_kennel_seminar/?$ boarding_kennel_seminar.php
[L]
RewriteRule ^seminars/dog_daycare_seminar/?$ dog_daycare_seminar.php [L]
RewriteRule ^seminars/?$ seminars.php [L]

Can anyone give me a clue as to why, when I vist the urls:

http://www.petservicesexpo.com/seminars/dog_daycare_seminar/
http://www.petservicesexpo.com/seminars/boarding_kennel_seminar/

The first two mod_rewrite rules are ignored and the actual file that's loaded
is seminars.php

If you want to see for yourself then view:
http://www.petservicesexpo.com/seminars/boarding_kennel_seminar/

The file you're actually seeing is:
http://www.petservicesexpo.com/seminars.php

And you should be seeing this file:
http://www.petservicesexpo.com/boarding_kennel_seminar.php

The _only_ way I can get either of those first two rules to load correctly, is
by deleting seminars.php from my server. Anything else I do to the .htaccess
files has no effect. Even if I delete the final rule from my .htaccess file
the problem still occurs.

This isn't the first time I've encountered such a problem, but I've never been
able to fix it before.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks - Dunstan