[thelist] What happened to my &#153 ?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 3 09:25:22 CDT 2003

> From: "Adam Slesinger" <badlanners at hotmail.com>
[...]
> Today, just for a sanity check, I went to my code reference to make
> sure that the Trademark symbol was &#153; and to my surprise, it was
> off the list!  So, I checked some other online references and they
> were gone there as well.

because for years they all had the wrong entities, and they only
started getting it right within the last year or so... in fact, most
books from 2002 and older have them wrong, too...

> Did I miss something?  Did W3 change the standards on me?  I didn't
> get the memo. :P  Should I be moving away from programming with my
> beloved &#153's and &#174's and &#169's and moving to something else?

nope, they didn't change 'em, people just started validating and
seeing they had the wrong ones... oh, and the validator didn't
validate them until a couple years ago, too...

anyway, you can use this handy chart, which has the character
and numeric entities, shows how each renders, and has a
description for quick in-page searches:

http://evolt.org/entities

--
my latest book project: