[thelist] HTTP_WEFERER - The Curse of Elmer Fudd....

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Wed Sep 3 11:38:02 CDT 2003

One for the archives...

<tip author="Anthony Baratta" type="Bogus HTTP Headers">

We use a shopping cart COM object (IIS Cart) that has an option to check
the referrer in order to help against hacking the shopping cart forms.
While it doesn't beat good coding practices, it's a nice hurdle to implement.

We've found that if users are have Norton Personal Firewall installed, the
HTTP_REFERER is stripped  by the firewall software and replaced with
HTTP_WEFERER. The value of HTTP_WEFERER is also an encrypted string.

e.g

	HTTP_WEFERER=HYUCDDJBLVLMHAALPTCXLYRW

Searching google yielded limited results - only guesses as to what it might
be. I was finally able to get a user complaining about accessing our eStore
to test an example form for me. We were able verify that Norton Personal
Firewall was munging the HTTP headers.

Strangely, Norton's support website does not contain any reference to
HTTP_WEFERER, but I was able to find that this software does block http
referrers by default.

How to pass referrer information to specific Web pages in NIS and NPF 2002
and earlier
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/cfcd5649881a90978525693700527436/7ad5cc720a93528788256913007c3012?OpenDocument&prod=&ver=&src=sg&pcode=&svy=&csm=no

How to pass referrer information to specific Web pages in NIS and NPF 2003
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2002110811290836?Open&src=sg&docid=2000070515373136&nsf=nip.nsf&view=cfcd5649881a90978525693700527436&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=
</tip>
---
Anthony Baratta