[thelist] FYI - Plug this MS Application Hole

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 3 22:50:06 CDT 2003

Actually...

I tend to believe it will end if/when a serious class action suit hits msoft
for their lousy attempts at security. I've had to spend God only knows how
many hours over the past 3-4 years dealing with my systems and
patching/protecting/etc.... Not because I had very many issues, but because
others didn't bother to secure their systems, and why would they!

I'd be willing to bet that there has probably been more the $4-5 Billion
spent dealing with msoft security issues, by people like me who spend 5-10
hours here/there trying to deal with the security issues caused by msoft.
the hours add up when you're talking rates of ~$50.00/hr... which is
considerably less than i would normally get from my regular 8-5...

If msoft, had bothered to write a little/lot better code, as well as ship
the IIS/FTP/ETc.. servers in a seriously tied down/closed state as the
default... a good deal of pain could have been avoided. And while the msoft
license might say i have no recourse to them regarding my own box, i'm
willing to bet a serious class action directed towards them for actions from
other boxes, would have a serious impact!!

i'm also willing to bet that it would get past the 1st initial court
hearings...

peace...

-Bruce