SV: [thelist] Suggestions for the next technology to learn

Marcus Andersson marcan at home.se
Thu Sep 4 05:48:47 CDT 2003

I would recommend java (over .net) and these are the reasons:
1. There are many more large server deployments with java than .net
2. The largest mobile phone producers are going for Java support in
their phones (I think they are scared to death to let MS in on their
market).
3. Java (with J2EE and all third party producers) is by many considered
to be much more stable and mature than .net and many won't lay their
mission critical systems into the hands of MS even if their lives were
at stake (MS _has_ a pretty bad reputation for building stable products)
(4. Speculation: Smaller companies are starting to migrate their servers
from Windows NT/2000 Server to Linux instead)

One may think that .net is strong competitor in the web field with web
forms and simple handling of web services but java is heading the same
way without sacrificing any flexibility (you can do most of your stuff
in a zillion ways with J2EE).

This is why I would go for java and I have hands-on experience with both
alternatives + I like the java language much better but that's another
story...

/Marcus