[thelist] Managing URL wrap in email

John Corry john at neoncowboy.com
Thu Sep 4 15:24:22 CDT 2003

I have a mailing list subscription manager script on one of my sites.

It works by sending a confirmation email to a users email address when they
submit that email address for subscription.

The user must follow a link (URL) in the confirmation email in order to
confirm their subscription.

The link (URL) looks like this:
<http://www.jacobliberman.com/maillist/maillist.php?action=confirm&email=me@
mydomain.net&conf=045e2>

Some email clients don't deal with the URL wrapping across lines well, the
URL is broken and the link that the email client generates from the URL
incomplete.

What can I do to ensure this is universally (or nearly universally) usable
by everyone? My target audience is pretty internet illiterate, asking them
to copy/paste the URL into a text editor to remove line breaks then paste
into address bar would be like speaking a foreign language to most of them.

Thanks,
John